Work to enhance cleanliness standards within St Mary's Hospital has been recognised following a recent inspection by the national Patient Environment Action Team (PEAT).
Feedback following the inspection highlighted that:
- Entrances and main reception areas are generally of a very high standard - and are clean, tidy and free from litter.
- Signage throughout the hospital is good - it is clear and provides good directional guidance around the site and between wards and departments
- The appearance and standards of cleanliness in visitors toilets have improved greatly
- The Trust has increased the frequency of cleaning and standards are much improved
- The Trust has provided all staff with appropriate uniforms and identification badges - staff are easily identifiable to patients and are polite and helpful
- The meal service is good and highly regarded by patients.
- Externally, the hospital is clean and tidy, with little litter in evidence
The report also commented that the Isle of Wight Healthcare NHS Trust had responded positively to the NHS Plan Clean Hospitals programme and is committed to providing an appropriate environment for patients. The Trust is supported in this aim by their staff, whose caring attitude and professionalism creates a pleasant atmosphere for patients. The report commends the Trust and its staff for their efforts and hard work for all the improvements that are evident at the hospital.
All Trusts are required to have a Board-level Director responsible for this initiative. Mark Price, deputy Chief Executive, who undertakes this role, said "We were delighted to receive this positive feedback and will continue to raise the standards of cleanliness within the Trust. The staff are to be congratulated for their hard work in making such a difference within a short time"
Issue date: 22 May 2001
For further information, please contact the Communications Department, Isle of Wight NHS Primary Care Trust, St Marys Hospital, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 5TG. Telephone number 01983-552003 (out of hours please contact the switchboard)