Indistrial Action - Impact on Island Health Services
The following is an update on the Strike Action as it affects the NHS on the Isle of Wight. All services are operating normally, including GP surgeries, pharmacies and health clinics and centres, apart from the following:
- Patient Transport: A reduced service is in operation. This will affect the transport of patients to and from St. Mary's. Patients and their families are encouraged to make their own transport arrangements where that is possible. Hospital appointments will be rearranged for those who are dependent on the patient transport service.
- Podiatry: An emergency service only is available. All patients who were booked for appointments have been contacted by the service.
- Carisbrooke Personal Dental Service (PDS) - closed
- East Cowes Clinic - open but will close at 12 noon.
- Ventnor Clinic - closed
- Cowes PDS is operating emergency service
Karen Baker, Chief Operating Officer at NHS Isle of Wight said:
"Our Control Room has been gathering information and monitoring the status of services across the Island. Staff have been on site since 6.00a.m. assessing the situation and we have a clear picture of the overall impact of the industrial action across the service.
"At 09:00hrs the overall absence rate for all reasons (sickness, annual leave, strike, etc) stands at 3.74% which is lower than normal.
"We have not had to cancel any operations at St. Mary's Hospital due to the strike and the vast majority of outpatients appointments are taking place. Any patients who are affected have been contacted.
"I would like to pay tribute to our staff - both those in unions and those who are not - who have worked with us to ensure that we can minimise the impact of the strike on patients and the services we provide."
Issue date: 30 November 2011
For further information, please contact the Communications Department, Isle of Wight NHS Primary Care Trust, St Marys Hospital, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 5TG. Telephone number 01983-552003 (out of hours please contact the switchboard)