> Go back to Book & Journals
The Uplifting Collection books are now available for NHS Staff to borrow. Contact us to arrange to borrow any of these titles or any from our currently available stock list.
Reading Well Collections
Devised by the Reading Agency and available in Public Libraries for anyone to borrow.
- Books on Prescription: We hold a small selection for NHS Staff to borrow.
- Mood Boosting Books: A selection of fiction, non-fiction and poetry books recommended by various Reading Agency groups.
You can also download the 'Book Prescriptions' to recommend books to your patients.. (Please direct patients to their local public library to borrow the books)
> Links to the Books on Prescription Forms are on the Health Savvy Pages > For Health Professionals tab.
> Read more about the 'Books on Prescription' scheme.
> Read about the 'Mood boosting books' recommended reading lists.
In addition to the above collections we also have Fiction, Non-Fiction, Self help, Short reads and a Spiritual Section.
- General Fiction and Non-fiction: We hold a small collection of general fiction and non-fiction for leisure reading.
- Self-Help Books: Some additional self-help books on stress and emotional resilience
- Menopause: Books on coping with the Menopause recommended by our Menopause ambassadors.
- Wellbeing books in our library network (Available for staff to borrow via our inter-library loan agreement)
** For help finding titles currently available please contact the library **
For the NHS from the NHS
Health Education England and the Reading Agency have crowd-sourced a list of uplifting, digital resources from NHS staff. The choices below were recommended by your colleagues in the NHS, and are ideal for boosting your mood. You can use at your leisure via any computer or mobile device.
Poems to lift your mood.
- Still I Rise – Maya Angelou “It is about triumph over adversity.”
- Love After Love – Derek Walcott “…every time I read it, my heart swells.”
- Making A Difference – Lemn Sissay
Podcasts You can use at your leisure via any computer
- Nothing Much Happens – Bedtime stories for adults, to aid relaxation. “It has really helped me when I feel anxious or I am finding it difficult to fall asleep.”
- Desert Island Discs – Vascular and war surgeon David Nott. “When I am having a bad day… I put this podcast on and it reminds me why I do this job and gives me a little bit of hope to carry on.”
- Happy Place – Fearne Cotton speaks to guests about life, love, loss and everything in between. “Positive ways to find joy every day.”
- Don’t Tell Me The Score – What can sport teach us about life and how best to live it?
- Soundscapes for Well Being – Virtual soundscapes of nature and music from the BBC. “Made me feel calm and connected to nature when I was staying inside.”
- Music For WellBeing – Music playlists for different moods from the Recovery College Online.
- Your Mind Plan – A five question interactive quiz to get top tips and advice from Public Health England. “I liked the digestible tips.”
- Yoga Pilates youtube – This introductory Pilates course by the NHS is made up of extremely gentle and slow placed classes.
Apps Download these recommended Apps from the Apple app store or Google Play store.
- Seek – Identify wildlife, plants and fungi, and learn about the organisms all around you. “It really helps you slow down and become much more connected to nature.”
- Headspace – Learn meditation and mindfulness techniques and create the right conditions for a more restful night. “The App is helpful to have a structured way to take some time out.”
- One You Couch to 5K – Easy-to-follow programme, perfect for those new to running and who need some support and motivation.
- One You Easy Meals – You’ll find delicious, easy meal ideas if you’re ever short of inspiration.
- Tingles – Tingles offers audio and visual relaxation guides.
- Motivation – Daily quotes and positive reminders on topics, such as self esteem, relationships and dealing with stress.
- Sleepio – Overcome poor sleep using evidence-based cognitive and behavioural skills. “I’d suffered with insomnia for years until I started using Sleepio.”
- Liberate Meditation – Offers meditations and sessions, curated by the ethnic minority community, for colleagues in the ethnic minority community. Sign up for free with your NHS email
> For more information please go to library.nhs.uk/YHC
> Go back to Book & Journal
Page updated: Feb 2023