Travel discounts and information

Discounts offered are for Wightlink and Red Funnel services to Portsmouth and Southampton for the patient and one accompanying adult. Hovertravel also offers a discount to Southsea.

In the case of children, provision is made for two accompanying adults.

To be eligible when travelling, you must produce your appointment card, or letter, and a completed travel request form. 

Travel request form

Download a travel request form from the appropriate travel company listed below:

Cross Solent travel

Each travel operator offers special return fares for Island residents attending hospital appointments on the mainland. Use the appropriate travel company link below to find out more:

Wessex Cancer Support offers a Daisy Bus transport service to the Queen Alexandra Hospital (QA), Portsmouth, and Southampton General Hospital. The Portsmouth bus meets the Hovertravel hovercraft at Southsea, and the Southampton bus meets the Red Jet, or the car ferry, in Southampton.

Please contact the Daisy Bus directly as they will have the latest travel plans, including limited or altered ferry timetables.


For those using the Red Jet there are two car parking spaces available for use at Cowes Harbour Commission. Call the Harbour Commission on: 01983 293952 to enquire about availability.

Red Funnel also offers limited parking for those attending hospital appointments. Find out more by calling Red Funnel on: 02380 019 192.

Northwood House in Cowes offers free parking for NHS patients travelling across the Solent for treatment. Call Cowes Town Council to arrange a space on: 01983 209022.

Hovertravel also offers free parking.

The Isle of Wight NHS Trust has limited funding from the Isle of Wight Council to reimburse passenger ferry costs for patients receiving radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or renal dialysis treatment. Eligibility and restrictions are detailed on the form below.

Please note if you are in receipt of benefits, the form below should not be used, instead complete a HC5 form online or at your local Department for Work and Pensions office.